Tuesday, June 15, 2010

All grown up.

I hurt my back over a week ago. Ten days ago, in fact.
I was doing some garden work at the summer house. Hurt my back with the silly rototiller.

It had been a week (read, like 8 days) of agonizing pain before I went to the doctor and was like, "Oh hai, it hurts, lol".
He poked and prodded me, and it was probably (and definitely awkwardly) the most pleasure I've experienced in like 5 days. He was pressing with his thumbs to see if anything was wrong and it was like a massage.
He informed me that I had a muscle spasm in my back and there's really nothing that can be done except that I can eat muscle "relaxatives"* and take some pain killers.
He warns me that it may make me drowsy. "That's cool," I think. "I can be drugged up for a couple days, have a sweet high. Awesome."
I get my prescription (read: recipe) and go get my medicine. Based on the drowsy warning, I decide to wait until I get home to take them.
Great idea. I get home, get a few things taken care of, think about what to make dinner, and take the medicine.
I'm huddled at my computer when I've decided on spaghetti and meatballs. I notice I feel a little swimmy, and make the effort to find an "easy" recipe.
Succeeded. Wrote down the ingredients I would need.
I feel a bit sleepy at this point, but I want some damned spaghetti and meatballs.
I have a list, which I check several times to make sure everything is there. I ask my husband if he wants anything, I add it to the list. I ask again before I leave and inform him, "if it's not on the list I'm not getting it."
I put on my flip flops, have my grocery bag (Save the environment!) and check like twenty times that I have my wallet, keys, and cell phone.
I'm clutching the list in my hand for fear if I put it in my bag I'll be completely lost.
About 1/4 of the way away from my house the medicine hits me in full force.
This is only a 7 minute walk from my house to the grocery store. I am determined to make it to the store. Although my mind is in a completely different world. All my muscles are relaxed, I'm paranoid that I look like a junkie.
I successfully make it the store after what seems like twenty minutes, I get my groceries, pausing every now and again to stare at my list to make sure I got what I needed. I walk home, much easier than walking to the store. I even managed to get stamps. How I succeeded at that, I have no idea.
I even managed to make tasty spaghetti and meatballs. The medicine made me incredibly spaced out, but able to focus on one thing at a time.

That was yesterday though.
This is today. I decided, since the medicine makes me loopy, to stay home to help my back heal faster. I took the medicine in the morning when my alarm went off, went back to sleep. Woke up at 12:30. Did my internetty things, and prepared food and TV for me since I was going to take more medicine soon.
I enjoy food and cherries and medicine. The muscle "relaxatives" don't quite hit my brain and make me sleepy yet, but my body is relaxed. I decide to take a nap.
I napped for about two hours. Woke up high as a kite.

I start to feel nauseas and hungry. I feel crazy and I don't like it.
I manage to get some laundry started and the dish washer filled and running. I make my coffee and eat some cereal.
It dawns on me: Being high isn't fun anymore.
I've grown up.
If I was 16 this would be fucking awesome, I'm sure. It's not though. I don't like it. I don't like feeling brain dead.
I don't even get this trashed when I drink alcohol. I drink for a buzz, although the past week I was drinking with regular pharmacy pain killers to actually have an effect in relaxing me and making the pain go away. It was only a drink or two, not to worry. Not much alcohol.
Though it was because of that need that I did call the doctor.

I'm still a little high on the "muscle relaxatives" but I'm slowly coming down. My back now feels like it has a normal back pain at the moment. It's not as agonizing as it was. The doctor wants me to be on this medicine for 5-7 days. When the pain is tolerable when I'm sober, I'll stick to taking the medicine at night.

It's just the strangest feeling. Feeling like an adult. I don't know what to say...
I've left myself speechless.

Oh god, that means I have responsibilities!

*Muscle Relaxers, but being in Europe, Europeans who aren't fluent in English come up with awesome words.

No comments:

Post a Comment